Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Homes for our Troops Fundraising

Hi fam,

This post is asking a favor from all who read it. It's for me, but it's bigger than 'me.'




I'll start with honesty about this favor: a half-marathon I want to run sold out, and the only way I can still do it is to register through, and fund-raise for, a charity. So, while my end goal is noble, its origin isn't entirely selfless. At first I had a hard time convincing myself to still sign up, since I knew I would be conflicted about asking for donations in order to ultimately get something for myself.

(Just a note here: I still paid the registration fee so I don't get in for free when I raise this money, and I'm also acutely aware of how most of my friends and family probably feel that I'm a crazy person for going to such great lengths to do something they wouldn't do if I paid them.)

I started looking through the lists of charities, and they all had minimum fund-raising goals of anywhere from $500-$2000. I got a little intimidated. But then I decided that I really, really want to do this, and that this will be a good thing, on top of a fun (to me!) thing.  I went back to the charity list, and tried to find the one with the smallest fund-raising minimum (not being a fund-raising pro at all). But then I found Homes for Our Troops. It didn't have the very smallest fund-raising minimum, but it was the one that I couldn't say no to.

I won't get up on a soap box, but I do firmly believe that we should be doing infinitely more for our troops, especially injured (physically or mentally) ones. Finding this charity in the list made all my reservations about asking for something for me go away. I've read about them and their mission, and will be honored to run for this organization.

My fund-raising minimum is $600, and I have no idea if I'll be able to raise it. I would love to surpass it. So if you're able to donate anything at all, please do so through my page: https://dph18.myhfotusa.org/christy.

I wanted to post this yesterday, but since it was Memorial Day, I thought I would be respectful and wait until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment