Monday, December 5, 2011

Tang for the Soul

It's time for a cold-weather fix...



When I was a kid, my grandmother always had "Tang Tea" mix on hand in her kitchen. When I was a kid, I loved to eat weird things. So one of my favorite things to eat (and favorite memories) is Tang Tea...mix. To clarify in case anyone didn't just get the oddity that is me: I ate the powdery mix with a spoon from a bowl. I brought that up a few years back, and a Christmas or two ago, my grandmother made me a big batch of it in a cool jar labeled with the recipe.

Now that it's actually feeling like winter outside (cold and wet), I've been looking for an afternoon pick-me-up. I found the rest of the Tang Tea mix and have revived it (and it me) for the winter. It's just so yummy!


Here's the recipe:

2 c Tang orange drink mix
1 envelope unsweetened lemonade mix
1/2 c sugar (or to taste)
1/2 c instant tea
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground nutmeg

Mix well and store in air-tight container.

To enjoy: Mix 2-3 heaping teaspoons into 8 oz hot water.







It just seems like something straight from a 1970's Good Housekeeping magazine, no? I love it because it's sweet, bitter, tart, and aromatic all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment